Sunday, January 18, 2009

Yea, I wish I was in Washington...

I watched Martin Luther King's "I Have A Dream" speech tonight. I had seen Obama on TV and thought about him making his speech at the same place as MLK. No pressure, huh? How cool is it that Obama's inauguration is the day after MLK day? Now, I'm starting to wish I had made the journey to D.C.

I keep thinking of the first time I saw Obama in Selma early in the campaign. He was there, Hillary too, on the anniversary of the Selma to Montgomery march. He drew a huge crowd, more than Hillary. The church was full and there were speakers set up outside. It was the first time I heard him speak. He is an amazing speaker, probably the best I've ever heard. Obama sounds like a preacher, but not, at the same time. There were thousands of people outside of Brown's Chapel listening to Obama speak. I knew then Obama was the real deal.

So, now, almost two years after I photographed Obama in Selma, Ala., a turning point for Martin Luther King and the civil rights movement, Barack Obama is about to be President of the United States of America.

Yea, I wish I was in Washington.....

No comments: